Title: Associate Professor
Subject Area: OLS - Environmental Health and Safety
Department: Construction Science and Organizational Leadership
Building: Anderson Room: 208K
Phone: (219) 989-8062
- Ph.D. Technology Management, Indiana State University, 2006
- M.S. Industrial Management, Central Missouri State University, 2001
- B.S. Safety Management, Central Missouri State University, 1998
Research and Scholarship Focus:
Professor Nakayama’s research interests include human performance development/improvement, impact of integration of safety principles (specifically risk assessment) into various disciplines, and development of effective online training modules. His recent externally-funded projects were from the Automotive Industry Action Group for the project, “Development of GHS Guidance Materials for AIAG Membership” and also from Engineered Companies, Inc. for the project, “A Safety Database System for Northwest Indiana Business Roundtable.”
- Nakayama, S., & Jin, G. (2015). Safety Training Enhancing Outcomes Through Virtual Environments. Professional Safety, 60(02), pp.34-38. Publication URL
- Moreland, J., Nakayama, S., Zhang, J., Yang. S., and Zhou, C.Q. (2014). Enhancement of Steel Industry Safety Training through Incident Visualization Development. A Publication of the Association for Iron & Steel Technology.
- Jin, G. & Nakayama, S., (2014, July). Virtual reality game for safety education. In the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing (ICALIP2014).Shanghai, China.
- Jin, G. & Nakayama, S. (2013). Experiential Learning through Virtual Reality: Safety Instruction for Engineering Technology Students. Journal of Engineering Technology, 30 (2), 14-21.