In order to be considered for admission into the Doctor of Nursing Practice program, applicants must have:
- Graduated from an accredited program with a master’s degree in nursing
- *Grades in all previous Master’s coursework of “B” or better.
- Current U.S. RN (registered nurse) license in the state in which practice will occur.
- *Evidence of successful completion of an introductory statistics course within the last 5 years.
- Personal Interview (will be scheduled following submission of application and all related documents)
*Note: Applicants not meeting this criterion may be considered for conditional admission status.
Required Admission Documents/Items
Application materials not submitted online may be mailed to the College of Nursing. The items that we will need to process your application include:
- A completed application form
- Your resume
- A statement of purpose for pursuing a DNP degree at PNW
- A copy of your U.S. RN license
- 3 recommendations using the university’s recommendation format
- Transcript(s) from each university/college attended
- If you are offered admission, you will need to complete a criminal background check as a condition of admission.
College of Nursing Application Materials Mailing Address:
College of Nursing
Purdue University Northwest, Hammond Campus
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323-2094
Attention: Graduate Program Secretary
Create an Application Account; Select correct campus and program
Submit your application online using the graduate program application form. here is what you need to do:
- Go to Apply Now or the How to Apply page for additional help before applying.
- Create an account by creating a username and password
- As you “Begin Your Application” select the following for “Term and Program Information”
- Campus: Hammond Campus
- Program of Interest/Graduate Major: Nursing – Collaborative Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Enrollment Objective: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Select Entry Term and Year: appropriate term
- Campus: Hammond Campus
Submitting Recommendations through the Application System:
When you create your online application, you will have the opportunity to enter the names of your recommendation providers. Once you click “Send to Recommender” they will receive an instructional email on submitting their recommendation online. Three letters of recommendation evaluating your scholarly potential are required. One should be from a clinical advisor or supervisor, one from an academic advisor or faculty member, and one from a nursing peer.
Submitting a Statement of Purpose through the Application System:
As a sample of your writing style and understanding of the role you are applying for, you will submit a 300-500 word essay which addresses your reasons for pursuing the Doctor of Nursing Practice. Include in this essay, your reasons for choosing Purdue University Northwest-Hammond campus, your career goals and practice interests in transforming healthcare through translational science and evidence based practice. You can also email this statement to the Graduate Program Email for the College of Nursing applicants and inquiries.
Submit Resume and RN License through the Application System:
The Resume or Curriculum Vitae should reflect your interest in applying to the program and the most current version uploaded into the application. Applicants should provide their RN license number(s) and state(s) of licensure within the content of the uploaded resume. Copies of RN licenses will be added to applications from the information provided therein from the public accessible state licensure databases. Applicants can also email this information to the Graduate Program Email for the College of Nursing applicants and inquiries.
Submit Transcripts through the Application System:
If you attended any Purdue campus in the past, you can allow us to access that transcript by checking the appropriate box in the online application. However, all transfer courses require original transcripts from those institutions of higher education as well. These transcripts can be uploaded into the online application and must be from the official version of the document.
Important Transcript Considerations:
- Purdue Northwest Graduate Nursing Programs are full-disclosure programs and transcripts from each university or college ever attended are required even if you did not complete a degree at that college or transferred courses in to another college.
- If the documents are not in English, you must upload an English translation certified by the college or university which issued it.
- If admitted, you must provide official transcripts and/or academic records at the request of the graduate program. All transcripts and/or academic documents uploaded to the online application system are considered unofficial. However, an unofficial transcript printed from your student account within an institution’s system in not an acceptable document to upload into the application even during the review process.
For tips about uploading your transcripts into the online application review the Graduate School upload tips.
Submit Official Transcripts Electronically
Applicants may choose to submit official transcripts electronically during the application process (rather than after an offer of admission). If you are submitting electronic transcripts as part of your application, please request that those official electronic transcripts be directed to the Purdue University Northwest Graduate Studies Office. That email address is Grad@pnw.edu. Those electronic transcripts, once received by Graduate Studies Office officials, will be noted as official and uploaded into your application on your behalf. Electronic transcripts from applicants for degrees/course work earned outside the United States are not currently accepted.
Completing the Process of Submitting the Application Form:
Prior to submitting the application form, you will be asked to pay a $60.00 application fee for domestic applicants. However, the interview process and application file review will not occur until the application fee has also been submitted. The College of Nursing will attempt to remind applicants of this important step. In the meantime, applicants should submit their application, pay the application fee, and email the Graduate Academic Advisor upon application submission and fee payment submitted in order to help