Purdue University Northwest College of Nursing offers an accelerated program for non-nurses who possess a minimum of a baccalaureate degree in another discipline. This intense and innovative program is designed specifically for full time, academically talented students, who are mature critical thinkers and motivated to earn a BSN degree in nursing in a shortened time frame.
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree in any major from an accredited institution completed by semester prior to application deadline.
- Have a cumulative minimum grade point average of 3.0 from prior baccalaureate.
- Have a minimum grade of “C” or better in all prerequisite courses.
- CORE (2 top sciences) GPA minimum of 3.0 completed by the semester of the application deadline and no older than five years old. All science repeated within five years will be averaged.
- Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN applicants who are currently enrolled in their required pre-requisite courses (two sciences) may submit a nursing application. Priority will be given to students who apply and meet the admission requirements by the application date. Acceptance into the program will be contingent on those semester grades, meeting admission requirements, and the availability of spots. Once capacity is reached, no further applications will be accepted until the next application deadline.
- Applicants transferring from or who have previously attended another nursing program must submit a letter of good standing from the Dean or designee of their previous nursing program
- Summer courses are only available at one campus—either Hammond or Westville. All other classes will be scheduled at the campus the student was accepted into.
- Students accepted into the program will be asked to take a test for essentials of safe medication administration. If they do not pass the test they will be asked to complete NUR 27400, a 2 CR HR class the summer before they start nursing.
- As part of the application process, students must successfully complete the HESI A2 entrance exam. The HESI A2 is a proctored computer based exam that is offered at both the Westville and Hammond campuses. Students applying to the College of Nursing are required to complete the Math Skills and Reading Comprehension sections of the HESI A2, and must obtain a score of 80% or higher on both in order to be eligible for admission. If a score below 80% is received on either section of the HESI A2, the applicant may repeat the HESI A2 exam once and report the higher of the two scores.The College of Nursing allows only two attempts at the HESI A2. The score must be submitted with the application prior to the February 1st application deadlines. A HESI A2 study guide is available. For more information about the HESI A2 and exam resources, please visit the Elsevier Web page. Dates and times to register for the HESI A2 exams are located on the Purdue University Northwest Testing Center website.
- The Math Skills section consists of approximately 50 problems including, but not limited to: whole numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages, ratio/proportion, metric conversion, Roman numeral conversion, household conversion, military time conversion and story problem solution.
- The Reading Comprehension section consists of approximately 50 questions and involves reading selections and answering questions related to paragraph content and vocabulary.
|* Human Anatomy and Physiology||8 credit hours (lab required)|
|* Microbiology||4 credit hours (lab required)|
|Computer Information Technology||3 credit hours|
|Statistics||3 credit hours|
|Nutrition||3 credit hours|
|English Composition||6 credit hours|
|Behavioral Sciences||6 credit hours|
|Humanities||3 credit hours|
|Communications||3 credit hours|
*Lab Sciences (Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology) may not be older than 5 years.
All applications and documents must be submitted by February 1st for Fall admission at either the Westville or Hammond campus.
Purdue University Northwest will accept credits from other regionally accredited institutions. It is not required that potential applicants complete pre-requisites for the Accelerated Second Degree nursing program at Purdue University Northwest.
Applicants that choose to fulfill their pre-requisite requirements at Purdue University Northwest can refer to the following list of approved classes which may satisfy pre-requisites for the Accelerated Second Degree Nursing Program.
Please contact the College of Nursing at (219) 989-2814 or email Mary Wysock, the academic advisor for the Hammond Accelerated Second Degree program and Amy Grossman, (219) 785-5439, at the Westville Campus
|Pre-requisite||Purdue Northwest Equivalent|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I||BIOL 21300|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II||BIOL 21400|
|Intro to Microbiology||BIOL 22100|
|Computer Information Technology||CIS 20400|
|Statistics||SOC 38200 or STAT 31000 or 30100|
|English Composition I||ENGL 10400|
|English Composition II||ENGL 10500|
|Behavioral Science||Contact advisor|
|Communications electives||Contact advisor|
NOTE: Simply meeting the listed requirements does not guarantee admission to the Nursing Program. All applicants to Nursing are reviewed and the best qualified are admitted. Enrollment is limited.
Current PNW CON Nursing Students
Current PNW CON Baccalaureate Degree: Professional Option students who wish to transfer into the Second Degree Accelerated Program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Students must meet all admission requirements for the Accelerated Second Degree program
- Prior bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Previous degree GPA’s below the 3.0 minimum will be reviewed on a case per case basis.
- Students must have completed either 4 semesters in the Traditional Baccalaureate Degree Program and/or NUR 19201.
- Students must have earned a GPA of 3.75 or higher for all NUR courses since admission.
Change of Degree Objective (CODO) Option:
The application for current PNW students who wish to change their degree option is available online. All applications and required documents must be submitted by February 1st. Requests for admission will be submitted to the Undergraduate Admission, Progression, and Graduation Committee. Students will be notified of the Committee’s decision at the end of March.
Transfer Student Option:
Students transferring from another college or university must first apply and be accepted to Purdue University Northwest. The application form is available online. There is an option in the application to apply for the accelerated 2nddegree nursing program. All applications and required documents must be submitted by February 1st. Requests for admission will be submitted to the Undergraduate Admission, Progression, and Graduation Committee. Students will be notified of the Committee’s decision at the end of March.