What is the Honors College?
The Honors College at Purdue University Northwest is an academic unit whose mission is to provide additional opportunities for students who are exceptional in the classroom and active outside of the classroom. Students in the College enjoy a curriculum that includes specialized coursework geared toward the special abilities and needs of this population, and this curriculum is embedded within the courses and requirements each student needs for his/her specific degree program. The Honors College also fosters significant social and cultural interaction among these students, so that they can learn from each other.
What are the advantages of the Honors College?
Students in the Honors College are part of a selective learning community. They enjoy special privileges that include:
- Annual scholarship funding in the amount of $2500/year;
- Individual attention and opportunities to collaborate with highly qualified professors on high-level research;
- Interactive, discussion-based seminars and individualized advising for educational and career planning;
- Access to the Honors College study room, computers and conference room;
- Opportunities to receive funding for studying abroad;
- Programs designed to enhance leadership and communication skills needed to distinguish themselves after graduation from college.
I have a student in my class who seems like a great fit in Honors… what should I do?
Encourage them to apply! The application to the Honors College is separate from the application to the university. If they have any specific questions or would like to meet with us, we would be more than happy to sit down and talk with them over the phone or in person. Contact Brandon or call us at x3160 to refer a student to us. The application is available online and students can review the process and application at their convenience.
I still have more questions!
No worries! Contact us by x3160 or by email at email@example.com and we will be happy to answer your questions. We may also put your question in our FAQ!