The Honors College Mission Statement
The Honors College at Purdue University Northwest is dedicated to enhancing the opportunities and learning experiences of highly motivated and academically exceptional students. Students in the Honors College engage in advanced coursework, community outreach, substantive research, study abroad, cultural and social activities, and regular interaction with the university’s most outstanding students and professors. Through these kinds of special learning opportunities, the Honors College fosters academic excellence, critical thinking, vital leadership skills, social and civic responsibility, and other virtues required of outstanding citizens and leaders.
The Honors College Value Statement
The following 8 steps are what we as an Honors College will help you as a student to achieve throughout your college career:
- Obtain leadership experience and therefore graduate with the skills and confidence needed to effectively direct groups of individuals toward particular objectives;
- Engage in substantive research and therefore graduate with a personal understanding of the care and diligence required to see large projects through to their completion;
- Receive training in critical thinking and therefore graduate with the ability to dissect complex problems across a wide range of issues and offer sound solutions to those problems;
- Explore the virtues required for success including diligence, patience, effort and therefore graduate with habits that will better enable them to achieve their goals;
- Acquire an appreciation for lifelong learning and its role in personal happiness and success and therefore graduate with an ongoing desire for knowledge and the ability to learn quickly;
- Come to understand the importance of citizenship and its role in a diverse society and therefore graduate with a firm grasp of the responsibilities that accompany leadership and the tools needed to carry out those responsibilities;
- Develop a sense of global awareness and therefore graduate with an ability to assess business and societal issues from diverse perspectives that allow for the development of fully inclusive and effective approaches;
- Grow and mature as individuals and therefore graduate with a strong sense of who they are and how they can best contribute their gifts and abilities to the good of society.